Research, knowledge, and perspective are the currency of our profession. We are actively engaged in academic research on culture and culture change, as well as professional and scholarly writing and public speaking. A sample of current and recent work is below.
White papers, Journal articles, Thought pieces:
- Improving Inclusivity and Communication In Executive Teams – Concrete Actions, Thought Piece
Summary: A list of ideas to help improve results in diverse teams
- Driving Change Through Career Models — An Operating System for Talent. White Paper, 2012
Abstract: Using two client case studies, read how integrated talent infrastructure through career models can drive organizational transformation. Typical approaches to integrated talent management either lead with a technology solution and/or don’t go far enough in engaging employees. A career model based approach as the platform solves for this.
- On Project Management, Thought Piece, 2012
Abstract: Many engineering and R&D oriented companies have 3 technical career paths: individual technical professional, management, and project/program management. With respect to project management, however, many of our clients struggle with whether to treat project management as a competency or a career path, or both.
- Improving Inclusivity and Communication In Executive Teams – Concrete Actions, Thought Piece 2012
- Career Models and Culture Change at Microsoft. ODN Journal, 2007, David White (co-author)
Abstract: This paper asks and answers the question: What are the intervention options for driving culture change in a company that continues to benefit from success, and lacks a burning platform for change? The answer: Focusing on employee motivation in the context of career opportunities while directly linking strategic business changes to employee behavior. (view PDF)
Magazines and Newspaper articles:
- The Impact of Recession on Culture: And What it Means for Organizations and Leaders (International Risk Consultants online publication , 2012)
The non-abridged version posted on this site provides examples of the impact of economic hardship on national and organizational cultures, as well as five personal strategies for coping within rapidly changing environments.
- Bridge Over Troubled Borders
Lisa Koss interviewed on the topic of communication between Mexico and U.S. Latino Perspectives, 2008
- Diversity Dilemmas
Abhay Padgaonkar and Lisa Koss co-write on common diversity issues along with insights for resolution. The Business Journal, 2007
- Speaker: Go Outside Comfort Zone
Lisa Koss keynotes at City of Dubuque Diversity Conference. Telegraph Herald, Nov 2007
- Senalan Estrategias Para Negociar
Lisa Koss interviewed on strategies in negotiating across cultures (El Mural newspaper, Mexico), 2004
Talks & Presentations:
- Driving Change through the Talent ‘Operating System’:
The Case at Xylem
Concept of using integrated talent management framework to drive organizational change: A presentation at Organizational Development Network annual conference in Phoenix, Arizona on Oct 22, 2012
- Organizational Culture: What is it, and what to do about it A short overview of organizational culture theory and practice: a 2010 presentation
- PhD Dissertation Abstract: Locating Schemas in a Manufacturing Conglomerate
- Paper: Functionally Embodied Culture – Using Metonymy to Locate Foundational Schema
An empirical study of the mental models of software engineers and HR using metaphor, and the implications for both groups, and for studies of organizational culture
- Paper: Problems and Promise of Metaphor in Organizations
A review of the literature on organizational metaphor and why metaphor matters to both theorists and practitioners of organizational culture